Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Addiction Stage 1

Stage One: Experimentation





    
      The first stage, experimentation, is the voluntary use of alcohol or other drugs. With my sister this began her freshman year in high school. Since it seems to be a normal thing for teens to experiment a little in high school no one really thought of it as a big deal. It started out as smoking weed, which seems to be what everyone does, so my family didn't notice any red flags. A few months into her freshman year a close family friend passed away. He was only 19 and because of the sudden loss by suicide, we were all lost for a while. I was only in 6th grade, so although it profoundly affected me, it led my sister down a dangerous path. Because I was young, I didn't realize how dangerous her actions had become.
      With my mom being a single mother it was usually just my sister and I at home. Having all her friends over to smoke became the normal thing to me, and it didn’t seem like anything I should tell my mom about. Although, looking back on it now, I wish I had. As my sisters freshman year progressed so did her drug use. It turned from experimentation into a regular thing for her.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this reminds me so much of highschool also and knowing so many friends in situations like this. I think its really great that your talking about this and let other people know that you wish you had told someone because at the time everyone doesnt think it is a big deal, but as your saying about your sister it truly does effect people long term. I have been in similar situations and have done the same thing as you and not said anything and looking back now wishing i did. Looking forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog posts so far. In this post, you are very informative about how the addiction started with your sister, and the way you presented your story makes it very relatable to your readers. Thank you for sharing your story with others. It takes a lot of courage to do that. You ended this post in a way where I wanted to read more and learn how this story unfolds. Good job so far.

    ReplyDelete